Michelle‘s Tips for preparing to become a parent.
Tips to prepare you for the big day:
- Educate yourself and your partner so that you can make informed decisions as labor and birth unfold.
- Create your birth team: friends, family or a doula will help you and your partner navigate your birth.
- Discuss your birth preferences with your care provider. It’s better to know what is available or not available prior to being in labor.
- Go on a hospital tour, you will feel more comfortable when that day arrives and you know where you are going.
- Go to the hospital when YOU feel ready. You will know when this is.
- Create your own space: choose your music, lighting, bed linens, aromatherapy and movements that make you feel comfortable.
- Pack your bags: one for you, your partner and the baby.
- Cook extra meals to freeze so that you will have food when you get home.
Tips to prepare yourself and your partner:
Most importantly, this is the time to take care of yourself, nourish your relationship with your partner and rest. Here are some tips to guide you from your birth to early parenthood:
- Instill self-care into your life will help you be the best parent you can be. Plan time to take care of yourself.
- Date your partner during the last few days/weeks of the pregnancy. Remind yourselves of the reasons you got together in the first place. Talk about what you envision for this first stage of parenthood and how you can support one another.
- Once baby is here, be creative and find bits of time to be together. Snuggle together when baby sleeps, eat a meal together, and create special date nights in your home.
- Communicate about anything that’s been on your mind over a nice meal or a walk, instead of a frustrating moment. Taking the time to breathe and think about what’s bothering you can help give you the perspective you need to share it with your partner.